Author Topic: Proposal for restricted antispam profile  (Read 17171 times)

giovanni.v

• View Profile
    • BoneOS SDK &  TeeBX VoIP communication platform
Proposal for restricted antispam profile
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:45:48 PM »
Recently many people come here just to deposit their eggs... spam, they don't post nothing useful (usually text pasted from the internet) but making spam links in their signature to gain hits to external sites & bias search engines rank.
I'd deleted a number of messages during the latest days but this is very irritating for everyone, and it would become difficult to manage if the problem worsens.

I'd like to suggest Michael to implement a change in user permissions.
Make any user not be able to add profile information (so including  signature) until they have made a reasonable number of posts, avoid also using bbcode may be useful; 50 posts look a good number to me.
I think this is not a real limitation for any serius user but like to read other members opinion about.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:34:55 PM by giovanni.v »

0tt0

• View Profile
Re: Proposal for restricted antispam profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:55:53 PM »
The number 50 in this regard seems unnecessary high, spontaneously. But making sure spammers have a hard time abusing the net is always important.

I also want to address another issues, somewhat indirectly related to this. The forum SW is using a rather dangerously old version. There have been a number of security fixes since 1.1.4.

Please upgrade.

Cheers,

giovanni.v

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »
The number 50 in this regard seems unnecessary high

Believe me 0tt0... spammers are very productive people  >:(

0tt0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »
I also want to address another issues, somewhat indirectly related to this. The forum SW is using a rather dangerously old version. There have been a number of security fixes since 1.1.4.

Please upgrade.

Not a single comment on this - weird.

And now it's out yet another version, fixing some more security vulnerabilities.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=311899.0

The forum is now in crucial need of upgrading.

Michael

• Askozia Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 11:16:31 PM »
No excuses here, we're behind on versions. I managed to get the main Askozia site updated when we launched the webshop but other elements of our online presence are a bit out-of-date. As I get time, the other components will be getting an update.

I appreciate the comments and for keeping some pressure on me.

0tt0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »
No excuses here, we're behind on versions. I managed to get the main Askozia site updated when we launched the webshop but other elements of our online presence are a bit out-of-date. As I get time, the other components will be getting an update.

I appreciate the comments and for keeping some pressure on me.

No problem. I happen to use SMF at one site and knew about the version status. Vulnerabilities are often quite specific too and sometimes require a certain enabled feature to be exploitable, but better to try to be safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Michael

• Askozia Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
Just a note about the latest p0rn spam popping up; could you please send me the name of the poster after deleting the post so I can remove their account? You remove them faster than I can at the moment so I haven't had the chance to see who's doing it.

When I get back from vacation, I need to put in more restrictions and upgrade the forums:
 - https://wush.net/trac/askozia/ticket/28

giovanni.v

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
Just a note about the latest p0rn spam popping up; could you please send me the name of the poster

SMKenneth.
I'd deleted a lot of posts from this person on the past days, some also a few minutes ago.

When I get back from vacation, I need to put in more restrictions and upgrade the forums:
 - https://wush.net/trac/askozia/ticket/28

This make me really Happy  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:47:24 AM by giovanni.v »

Michael

• Askozia Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »
DELETED!! Bye SMKenneth, we'll really miss you.

I saw all of those posts but couldn't do much to prevent new ones. Now he/she/it is going to have to try again. I see there's no way to ban topics with certain words...only to censor them. For now I've changed registration to require user activation. At least they'll have to use a valid e-mail address.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:58:31 AM by Michael Iedema »

Southcross

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »
doh... so how many posts am I up to?  *posting to find out* LMAO

sweet! 67 LOL
-Edward
VIA C3 by Mercury
@ 800mhz & 256MB RAM

giovanni.v

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 12:56:15 PM »
Seems that the new spammer preferred sport now is to create a profile to point/advertise other websites without posting any message so admins have no reference/evidence to catch the spammer.

I would suggest to disable guests to viewing links so effectively discouraging this practice because also search engines will stop following the urls in the spammers profiles.

Smf plugin: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=342

Michael

• Askozia Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
Sounds good, but till doesn't solve the problem of having a TON of spam users cluttering up the real users. The only way I can think to do this is to have me approve the user accounts. We still get 5-10 spam accounts every day.