Author Topic: Intel NUC DE3815TYKHE - Atom Processor eMMC Memory  (Read 8152 times)

kj

• View Profile
Intel NUC DE3815TYKHE - Atom Processor eMMC Memory
« on: March 03, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »
I recently purchased an Intel NUC and was hoping this would work well with the new version of Askozia 4.0 as it has better hardware support.  It was no problem to load it onto the device which has an SSD drive.  The trouble is, the installer does not see the on-board eMMC memory during installation? 

This seemed to be an ideal platform because the OS could reside on the eMMC memory and the SSD could be used for everything else that was read-write intensive. 

The bios is set to Linux which be default enables the eMMC memory. 

Has anyone had success with this setup?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

landfiets

• Coffee - lover
    • View Profile
Re: Intel NUC DE3815TYKHE - Atom Processor eMMC Memory
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »
What I read about today it is to update the bios first. I don't know why, but maybe there were problems before.

Advice: First update the NUC “BIOS”.

Download from Intel
Put on USB memory
Put USB memory in NUC
Start NUC, Press F7 to upgrade BIOS

After that, did you do this allready?:

Go into Bios and...
HOME > You can leave UEFI boot on / off
Advanced > UEFI > OS selection > set to linux (leave the rest unchecked)
Advanced > BOOT > Check USB
Devices > Onboard Devices > Check 4GB eMMC built in storage.
Legacy > Trusted platform module > check if you want TPM errors on boot to go away.

Tell me what happens next?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:45:57 PM by landfiets »
Askozia 4.1.2 (on Alix 2D13) - Cisco SPA 504G - N510 IP Gigaset - Bria Softphone for Iphone & Ipad

kj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 12:11:05 AM »
Thanks for your detailed reply, I appreciate it. 

Excellent idea, however the BIOS was updated to the latest version prior to starting as you are correct, there were some issues that Intel corrected.

I also had the settings as you suggested, and the only storage device it sees is the SSD I installed.  Even if I go into the web interface after installation the system only sees the SSD not the eMMC.

What is odd is I brought this up to Askozia a while back and to my knowledge they bought the same Intel NUC and indicated that with the new version it should work as the Linux kernel was being updated.  Possibly I am not doing something correct but it seems that when Linux is chosen in the BIOS as the OS eMMC is enabled by default and it should recognize the device.   

I realize this is brand new so maybe this is a bug that needs to be addressed. 

landfiets

• Coffee - lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 12:22:46 AM »
Hi

Just interested, what do you want to use the eMMC for?
When it is for extra storage you can use (after backing up configuration) ESC => Magic buttons => alocate unused space   etc.

When you just want to use eMMC for now I should dig more deeper in this and maybe can answer this tommorrow or later.

(use bios 0024)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:39:43 AM by landfiets »
Askozia 4.1.2 (on Alix 2D13) - Cisco SPA 504G - N510 IP Gigaset - Bria Softphone for Iphone & Ipad

kj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:14:02 AM »
Hi, 

The intent was to install the base OS onto the eMMC and allow the SSD to be used for recordings, system activity etc.  Basically the read-write intensive activity occurs on the SSD and the OS which is not disk intensive resides on the eMMC.  I believe this is the recommended way to install the system by splitting where the OS and data reside. 

The bios I am using is TY0041 which was released Dec 2014. 

Thanks for helping, do you happen to have one of these devices you can test on? 

landfiets

• Coffee - lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »
Hi, 

The intent was to install the base OS onto the eMMC and allow the SSD to be used for recordings, system activity etc.  Basically the read-write intensive activity occurs on the SSD and the OS which is not disk intensive resides on the eMMC.  I believe this is the recommended way to install the system by splitting where the OS and data reside. 

The bios I am using is TY0041 which was released Dec 2014. 

Thanks for helping, do you happen to have one of these devices you can test on? 

Any changes yet?

No, I don't have a NUC myself, so I won't be able to test myself.
But, maybe Askozia will help you with a newer kernel in the next update or will have a workaround.
In the meantime I will still look into postings on the internet about the same problem and solution, with other Asterisk distro's.

kj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:24:46 PM »
Unfortunately nothing to offer at this point.  I tried using a live image of linux to see if I could access the eMMC which was not an issue at all. I also tried to write the image directly to the eMMC while I was booted into a live Linux image but didn't have success yet.  When I have some more time later today or early next week I will try again. 

Provided I can access the eMMC from a live linux image and successfully write the .img file to it everything should work in theory 

I did log a support request and was told this was being added to the bug tracker so hopefully there is something simple that can be done to resolve this. 

goseph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
Fixed with 4.0.1!
added mmcblk0 as target for installation (Intel NUC)
http://askozia.com/changelog/

Give it a try and report, please!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:52:57 PM by goseph »

kj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
Thanks for the notice!  I will give it a try on Friday and report back on the results.

toxicfusion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 05:11:25 PM »
Before 4.0  i used an interal USB SSD hard drive with a USB header cable adaptor.  USB header pins on the board have a different pitch

kj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 04:59:36 PM »
I requested a new trial license and it seems that version 4.0 is still being sent out so I am not sure if 4.0.1 works or not.  I have requested a copy of 4.0.1 however it might be too late in the day to receive a reply.  The status/summary says Askozia PBX 4.0

The steps I took were the following. 

1.  Use Gparted to format the two drives; internal SSD and the EMMC and they both show up as readable / writable.  EXT2 partitions and formatted to EXT2 (I am not a Linux expert however this was the recommended format in the Askozia GUI under the storage section). 

2.   In the GUI under storage it shows the EMMC as available but says "Disk/deb/mmcblk0boot0 doesn't contain a valid partition table"  If I try to format it an error comes up "Formatting failed! (returned 1)"

At this point it is either the fact that I don't have the right version or have not formatted the disks correctly, any ideas?

goseph

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 05:03:45 PM »
I requested a new trial license and it seems that version 4.0 is still being sent out so I am not sure if 4.0.1 works or not.  I have requested a copy of 4.0.1 however it might be too late in the day to receive a reply.  The status/summary says Askozia PBX 4.0

I just sent you a link to 4.0.1 via private message.

kj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
Thanks I will give this a try shortly! 

kj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 06:35:11 PM »
I am happy to say that I was able to install the software on the eMMC drive without any issues!  From there I was able to format the internal SSD and marked this to be used for VM, on hold music, logs etc. 

Please correct me if I am wrong but once the software loads, it mainly runs in memory, and there will be very little read/write activity on the eMMC correct?  The main disk activity would be for VM, logs etc. correct? 

I only ask so I can try to judge how long the system will last before it should be replaced in the future. 

We only have a handful of users so in total the hardware was less than $250 including the 128GB HD and 2GB memory which is quite a bargain for such a capable phone system!   

goseph

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »
Yes, this is totally right. the eMMC will not be used much. That is what askozia had in mind. Your 128GB HD (i guess SSD?) will be used more frequently.