Author Topic: How could I create localized voice notifications?  (Read 6306 times)

Mateusz Viste

• View Profile
    • My homepage
How could I create localized voice notifications?
« on: April 22, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
Hi!

So far, I translated the GUI to polish language. Now, I am wondering about translating all the voice stuff. How could I do that?
I guess that creating these voice files is much work, but I would like to try it, just in case :)

Michael

• Askozia Staff
    • View Profile
Re: How could I create localized voice notifications?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:44:18 AM »
There is a file in the sound files distributed with Asterisk which lists the text spoke in each prompt. Take a look at the distribution here:
 - http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/sounds/asterisk-core-sounds-en-wav-current.tar.gz

To get "base support" in Askozia (meaning, having all of the sounds required for a default install), you would only need to provide:
 - agent-pass
 - auth-thankyou
 - auth-incorrect
 - conf-onlyperson
 - conf-getpin
 - conf-invalidpin
 - conf-kicked
 - pbx-transfer
 - pbx-invalid
 - pbx-invalidpark
 - vm-intro
 - vm-theperson
 - vm-isunavail
 - vm-isonphone
 - vm-goodbye
 - vm-password
 - digits/0
 - digits/1
 - digits/2
 - digits/3
 - digits/4
 - digits/5
 - digits/6
 - digits/7
 - digits/8
 - digits/9

Mateusz Viste

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:08:28 AM »
Thanks for your teply, Michael!

Could you also tell me how I could test my own files? That is, let's say that I record some polish voice messages, and I want to add them to Askozia. How could I add these new voice messages to check if they are working correctly or not?

giovanni.v

• View Profile
    • BoneOS SDK &  TeeBX VoIP communication platform
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »
How could I add these new voice messages to check if they are working correctly or not?

You need a folder called "pl-pl" and a subfolder on it called "digits"; unfortunately at this time an option to select that language does not exists in extensions nor providers.

I think this is the easy way:
- attach an usb stick to the pbx.
- format and activate that in System->Storage and flag the "media" item in
"Storage Services". Now askozia will copy all existent audio prompts to the usb disk.
- Shut down the pbx and move the usb stick to a more confortable location, even a windows machine will be ok.
- Now exploring the usb media you can find the prompts files tree on askoziapbx/media/sounds with a folder for each supported language.
- make a folder called "pl-pl" in askoziapbx/media/sounds and a "digits" subfolder on it.
- record your polish prompts on the new pl-pl tree.

To test on the system rename the "en-en" folder to something like "en-en_old" then "pl-pl" to "en-en".

Mateusz Viste

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your tips!
I finally got some polish voice files done.

http://www.viste-family.net/mateusz/polish-voices-askozia/

There, in the "voices.zip" file, are all files listed by Michael (16 messages + 10 digits), all translated to (and recored in) polish language. Could any of you tell me whether these files are useable for the AskoziaPBX project? These WAVe files are recorded in mono, at 44100Hz. There might be some volume adjustements to do, but I'm not really sure it's needed...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:02:41 PM by Mateusz Viste »

giovanni.v

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »
WAVe files are recorded in mono, at 44100Hz.

Too large however, also inappropriate because asterisk should transcode any time stream the content on a channel.
You can convert to alaw using winff (http://winff.org/) in a few seconds, to keep work a little even simpler download my alaw profile and import it in winff:
http://www.keybits.org/pub/oss/CCITTalawPCM.wff

Mateusz Viste

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
Too large however, also inappropriate because asterisk should transcode any time stream the content on a channel.

Yeah, I noticed that :)
I converted my audio files to ulaw using sox, and resampled to 8KHz. I tested these new audio files on my PBX using your method (moving media to a USB drive, and changing en-us by my own content). Works great! :-)

New version of my polish audio files is available at the same address than before:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:03:01 PM by Mateusz Viste »

giovanni.v

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:27:04 PM »
I converted my audio files to ulaw

Mateuz, i know almost nothing about the telecom infrastructure in Poland but systems documentation coming from some pbx manufacturer reports that aLaw is used (like most of the EEC+ETSI area).
I would suggest you to verify this information and convert messages to the same encoding format used within the public network.

Mateusz Viste

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »
I would suggest you to verify this information and convert messages to the same encoding format used within the public network.

Hi,

I uploaded voice files again (still the same address). Now I packed u-law, a-law and gsm into the archive.

Michael

• Askozia Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
Looks good, I'll get a package definition setup for them and integrate them into the build system.

What license are you releasing them under? BSD would fit into the project, GPL would work too since the source to this project is always open. There are other licenses out there but I think most of the sounds are GPL.

You'll need to include a license file in the zip archive and, once you're happy with their state, start assigning a version to the archive (pl-voices-1.0.zip for example). Also, it would be nice if you included the original wav files in your archive so other formats can be transcoded from it.

I think you're the first person making new prompts available for the project :) Good stuff!

Mateusz Viste

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 02:24:41 PM »
Looks good, I'll get a package definition setup for them and integrate them into the build system.

That's great news :)

You'll need to include a license file in the zip archive and, once you're happy with their state, start assigning a version to the archive (pl-voices-1.0.zip for example). Also, it would be nice if you included the original wav files in your archive so other formats can be transcoded from it.

I updated my polish voice files. The package is available at the following address:

I included a readme file to the archive, as well as a license file (GNU/GPLv3). Original WAVe files (aka. "the source code") are bundled in the archive as well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:03:18 PM by Mateusz Viste »

Michael

• Askozia Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »
Committed!
 - https://wush.net/trac/askozia/changeset/1501

Thanks for packaging that in a better format and including those sources. I'll mirror the archive on our public server so yours does not get a bunch of traffic.